How to create custom invoices

Luis

Question

Is there a way to create a custom invoice for a one-time service?

I mean, the ability to just create an invoice not associated with a service, with custom text and pricing on the fly.

Sometimes clients require a one time service, setup, consulting or something that's not planned.

9 answers to this question

We tie all invoices to products for reporting, but you can just create a product 'misc' for example and use that - you can of course override the price when adding an order

So you could create a one-time product called 'custom work' and invoice for that for instance

We are going to be doing a 'quick invoice' function which will work how you imagine - but behind the scenes will create a new product.

• Like 3

Quick invoice would be good.I think many of us that will transition from WHMCS will be looking for features like these.

I tried the suggestion above but not seeing a way to cancel an invoice, only options are 'pay invoce', 'credit invoice', 'Regenerate', 'Change Due Date', 'Select Payment Method', 'Create Order Template' and 'Send Email'. No cancel option? 

• Like 2

A custom invoice is much needed. Regenrating a legacy invoice is becoming a nightmare.

I tried creating a one time product and placed a quick order but when I overwrite the price, it remains the same and an order with amount 0 gets auto paid. Not sure if it's a bug or what.

• Like 2

An invoice can't be cancelled. That doesn't exist in accounting. It can only be credited. An invoice is an official tax document and if you want to write it off you need a credit note on the other side of the ledger to balance it against. WHMCS is in many areas an example of how invoicing shouldn't be done.

Legacy invoices are ones that have come from a previous system. They aren't ones you can pay. We generate new invoices based on the service due dates, billing cycle and recurring amounts. Legacy invoices we couldn't map to periods for reporting/MRR/churn rate calculations etc.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:55 AM, Seb said:

We tie all invoices to products for reporting, but you can just create a product 'misc' for example and use that - you can of course override the price when adding an order

So you could create a one-time product called 'custom work' and invoice for that for instance

We are going to be doing a 'quick invoice' function which will work how you imagine - but behind the scenes will create a new product.

Hi @Seb, team. 

Do you have any news about this? Is this still in the roadmap?

Creating a misc product is not ideal since it lacks custom description of the job. 

The mentioned quick invoice feature would be great though. 

I have literally just created a ticket about this, before finding this thread. We have several client who we create custom invoices for on a monthly basis, these are normally one off or are line items up to and indlucing the end of the month; 

- IT support and consultancy (price varies on calls) invoiced monthly depending on calls
 - office 365 service and licensing, invoice monthly but line items/pricing varies
 - one off consultancy items

I can create products and run quick orders against them (while hiding from shop), and I can override the price which is great. However, I cannot modify the service /  invoice line item OR even add a custom not against the invoice (which would bea workaround). ie - for support and maintenance for September 2023 agains the product configuration Support and Maintenance etc

Anyone found a workaround or better way? 

• Like 1

Hi,

This is a much needed feature.

There are moment where I have to invoice custom work, like hours but I'd like to add a reason to it or simple explanation what kind of work I've done these hours.
I hope this will come quickly

Hi there,
I appreciate the suggestion and wholeheartedly concur. A feature for custom invoices is crucial, it's still on our roadmap and our team will be working on it shortly. When it's released, we will notify you on the forum community.