How do I move or add existing clients not through WHMCS?

TNeumiller

Question

Hi there,

I have a few clients currently on my hosting which is now set up to provision through Upmind and I'm wondering how to set them up in Upmind so they are billed and managed through here. 

I did not use WHMCS in the past, so I can not import from there.

I feel that I would set them up manually and then 'place new order' with the product that they are using. 

The sticky point is these are provisioning accounts. How do I make sure that the order does not attempt to re-provision something that's already there? (their hosting for example) and then attach their hosting spot manually.

I have done a lot of searching and don't see how to set this up.

Thanks!

Tammie

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Hi

What you could do is, after adding your client manually, go to the quick add menu on the top right and select "Add quick order".

Select the client and the product and after adding to basket you will be able to select "Add existing service". This will allow you to set the next renewal date manually and will not generate an invoice (it will generate a 0 invoice I believe).

After that you can go to your newly added product and set the status in the overview page and add the privisioning information on the Manage tab.

Finally on the Manage tab you can use "Get Info" and if it gets it correctly, your good to go.

Edited by Luis

On 2/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, Luis said:

Hi

What you could do is, after adding your client manually, go to the quick add menu on the top right and select "Add quick order".

Select the client and the product and after adding to basket you will be able to select "Add existing service". This will allow you to set the next renewal date manually and will not generate an invoice (it will generate a 0 invoice I believe).

After that you can go to your newly added product and set the status in the overview page and add the provisioning information on the Manage tab.

Finally on the Manage tab you can use "Get Info" and if it gets it correctly, your good to go.

Thank you for this information. I completed this step, but it did produce an invoice for the amount, and then said it was paid in full with a zero balance and sent it to my client, then a renewal date for what I wanted and a new invoice will be sent out.  I will have to work with this a little more and see how I can get it to not make it look like they paid the first invoice. 

At least I have things moving. I'll have to see best ways to do this before putting in the rest of my clients.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, TNeumiller said:

Thank you for this information. I completed this step, but it did produce an invoice for the amount, and then said it was paid in full with a zero balance and sent it to my client, then a renewal date for what I wanted and a new invoice will be sent out.  I will have to work with this a little more and see how I can get it to not make it look like they paid the first invoice. 

At least I have things moving. I'll have to see best ways to do this before putting in the rest of my clients.

What I usually do to avoid an invoice to be sent while I do the migration is to disable all email notifications for that specific client and re-enable it when I'm done.

That way even if a 0 invoice is generated, it will not notify them.

4 minutes ago, psybox said:

thanks for that. I did try it and it worked fine. However it did marke £59 invoice (down to £0 ) as paid which seems odd. I wouldnt have expected any invoice until the next due date (manually set to one month from now)

Apparently Upmind's internal workflow need to register every transaction with invoices to maintain the accounting part. So that's why  there are many 0 invoices.

You also get them when you update/downgrade plans, pricing and so on. 

There's an option in the settings to hide 0 invoices from clients. That doesn't avoid them to be sent via email, but they won't appear in the client's portal.

Edited by Luis
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Luis said:

Apparently Upmind's internal workflow need to register every transaction with invoices to maintain the accounting part. So that's why  there are many 0 invoices.

You also get them when you update/downgrade plans, pricing and so on. 

There's an option in the settings to hide 0 invoices from clients. That doesn't avoid them to be sent via email, but they won't appear in the client's portal.

I was reviewing email logs and it seems client's don't get 0 invoices notifications on email.

For me, that works.

Edited by Luis

7 hours ago, psybox said:

Yes I checked that too and same. Although the admin invoices will have many! Have you figured out how to download the invoices or export data? I want to import them to a local accountancy package rather than online at the moment 

You can export invoices here in CSV format: admin/insights/reports/all_invoices

Although I haven't done it yet.

There are a few reports there.

So the way we've designed this to do this is to take the monthly report and then just add it as a journal entry

Basically there are two journal entries

- Invoices raised, and payments in, then balanced against customer balances (Accounts repayable) and amounts outstanding (accounts receivable)

- Deferred revenue vs recognised revenue

We don't have automation for posting that to Xero or Quickbooks yet but what most people do is just take that manual journal and post it once a month

Alternatively you could post every single invoice (and the get invoice from the reports - invoices). But to do that you're basically doing cash accounting, rather than accrual accounting. Does that make sense?

We'll put some guides and examples together on this soon

• Like 1