Automated hosting

Ryan G

I am hoping upmind can help me solve my needs.  

My use case:

A user buys my services.  I offer them free hosting for one year.  At the end of one year, they need to start receiving billing.  If they buy a new service I may renew the free hosting.

I was hoping with the API first strategy upwind promotes that I could accomplish this from my current customer management platform via API calls, i.e I would send an API call to upmind to let it know when to change from Free plan to Paid plan.  

Looking at the documentation it looks like web hooks only are outgoing.  

Is there a way with this system to accomplish my needs?

Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

Regarding your first question, there are two options:

1. Create a promotion code specifically for the free hosting offer. You can find more details in this guide: https://docs.upmind.com/docs/how-to-create-a-basic-promotion-code 
  2. Utilize free trials (check out the documentation here: https://docs.upmind.com/docs/free-trials). Within the free trial setup, you can choose between three options, but you can only configure either "continue" OR "migrate". You cannot configure both options simultaneously.

Regarding API inquiries, our API functions effectively, although we're still refining our documentation. Rest assured, once updates are available, we'll notify you through our forum community.

Hope this helps clarify things for you! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Isma

Is the API ready currently?  

Basically, in my member management system, if they buy a certain product, I would like to make an api call to upmind that creates the user and activates a hosting account (provisions) for a certain product at no cost to them.

If they discontinue their purchase, an api call would be made that can start invoicing for the product?  I'm not sure what the flow would be, i.e. would their account need to be changed to a an upgrade/downgrade or?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ryan

Yes you can do this via the API. The state of our API is that it is ready but our documentation is not. Our frontend app just uses our API- so basically the API is what we use ourself to develop. We do have nascent API docs at https://demoapi.upmind.io/doc but in reality if you were building this the easiest solution is to do the below steps in our admin area and just examine and copy the network request in the browser.

You would make an API call to create a client, then add a product with a zero price monthly

Then when they cancel you would just update the product to have a price. Or you could have two products and upgrade/downgrade between them.

So for instance

1. Add a client

2. Add a product (with zero price)

3. When they cancel do a modify product to a different product

Thank you for this information.  After reviewing your new pricing model I see the API isn't included until the growth package.  This makes upmind an unfeasible solution for my use case.

• Like 1