How do I charge for setup fees (first year)

Luis

Question

I'd like to replicate a behavior in my other billing system.

Example:

I would create a product with a recurring yearly price, let's say: 90$. But I'd like to charge them 200$ the first year (90$ for the product itself + 110$ consisting of setup fees or any other concept).

How can I archive that in Upmind? Is there a way to set a price for the first occurrence and another for the subsequent periods. Or do I need to create 2 products? That would be little harder to manage though since each product would need their "one time" counterpart and it has to be added manually.

6 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Luis said:

I'd like to replicate a behavior in my other billing system.

Example:

I would create a product with a recurring yearly price, let's say: 90$. But I'd like to charge them 200$ the first year (90$ for the product itself + 110$ consisting of setup fees or any other concept).

How can I archive that in Upmind? Is there a way to set a price for the first occurrence and another for the subsequent periods. Or do I need to create 2 products? That would be little harder to manage though since each product would need their "one time" counterpart and it has to be added manually.

Hello Luis,

You can do that by using product options. Just add the price as one-time instead of monthly recurring. There is still a UI issue though, where the price for monthly/yearly and one-time are not shown separately, which can cause some confusion while ordering for the customer.

Edited by Hivium

4 hours ago, Seb said:

I would do this with a promotion that auto-applies one-time on a specific billing cycle.

But promotions can only do discounts right? Or can I set a negative discount?

I need to charge more the first year and a smaller recurring renewal amount.

Lets say my product is 90$/year.

Can I create a promotion that only applies the first year/one time that adds 100$ to the order instead of discounting?

Or in any case, is there an option to bundle 2 products in a way that is mandatory to order both?

For example, I would add the 90$ recurring service + a Setup service that would add the 100$ one time.

11 hours ago, Hivium said:

Hello Luis,

You can do that by using product options. Just add the price as one-time instead of monthly recurring. There is still a UI issue though, where the price for monthly/yearly and one-time are not shown separately, which can cause some confusion while ordering for the customer.

I will try this if bundling doesn't work

thanks.