Change dates with language selection

Luis

Hi

I updated my admin panel's language to test some translations and I'm seeing this behavior.

It's like some of the dates don't change to the selected regional language and instead show in english.

I'm seeing that here: admin/upmind/overview, I can't check other places since I don't have any invoice generated yet for clients.

image.png.ff6814d20d809dbbec97bfb0e0880824.png

image.png.b54064651adf74942315f31bc313e9ba.png

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Luis L said:

I can also confirm a wrong behaviour with dates wirh Spanish from Spain.

image.png.ab2f00df8f413a6ba916b908916187f8.png

image.png.e10a8647428eb0dbbbc9ec0ceabdb374.png

image.png.7eba4f736f823a9c3b0e6ac4c8dd745e.png

Also some dates are missing:

image.png.535a5608b2202f39d4a232d2eb56f4c2.png

I believe those date formats were auto translated in the beginning and the translations were a little off.

I'm working on the Spanish and LA translations and I think I fixed this, but we need to wait for those to go live.

I don't know how to change those short month and day of the week translations I posted originally though.

• Like 1

Hi.

I noticed that too in my panel but it's better than before, and months and days are localized now. Thanks for that! Also, I see that those strings are gone from the Localazy's translation project (maybe for the best).

@Seb I see in this case one of the issues is that the English format is "MMM Do, YYYY", being the "o" after the D the ordinal placeholder for the number. But we don't use ordinal numbers in dates (at least not in Latin America). I believe it should be just "sep. 5, 2022" or "MMM D, YYYY" in this particular case.

Regards.

• Like 1

I agree with you @Luis. Just to point out in Spanish from Spain we use the number before the month, that would be "5 de septiembre de 2022".

The agency that regulates Spanish language has some information about the use of dates (source: https://www.fundeu.es/recomendacion/como-se-escriben-las-fechas/). I would say that it would be the same in American English as this is the only organism that regulates Spanish in the whole world, but I can't say how dates are used in Latin America currently. It explicitly states that the use of the month before the day is discouraged as it comes from US English.

To summarize the info in that link, dates should be used as "[day] de [month] de [year]" and "de" can't be avoided. It can also be used with numbers without leading zeros (ex: 5/9/2022), although the use of the leading zero is simply discorauged and it is normally used to avoid legal issues.

So, I would use "5 de septiembre de 2022" or "05/09/2022" for dates in Spanish from Spain

1 hour ago, Luis L said:

I agree with you @Luis. Just to point out in Spanish from Spain we use the number before the month, that would be "5 de septiembre de 2022".

The agency that regulates Spanish language has some information about the use of dates (source: https://www.fundeu.es/recomendacion/como-se-escriben-las-fechas/). I would say that it would be the same in American English as this is the only organism that regulates Spanish in the whole world, but I can't say how dates are used in Latin America currently. It explicitly states that the use of the month before the day is discouraged as it comes from US English.

To summarize the info in that link, dates should be used as "[day] de [month] de [year]" and "de" can't be avoided. It can also be used with numbers without leading zeros (ex: 5/9/2022), although the use of the leading zero is simply discorauged and it is normally used to avoid legal issues.

So, I would use "5 de septiembre de 2022" or "05/09/2022" for dates in Spanish from Spain

We use that format too.

"5 de septiembre de 2022" long format

"05/09/2022" or as you said "5/9/2022" would also be fine (for short format).

The issue with this: "5/9/2022" is that for us it means September 5th., but for the US it would mean May, 9th. I don't know if Upmind differentiates between formats according to the region or to the language. Considering currently there's only Spanish (Spain), and English (UK) on the system.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.